RAF Project Grants
Project Grants provide major funding for high-quality arts projects benefitting regional or remote artists, arts workers, audiences and communities. The focus of the project could include any area of creative practice, multiple art forms or cross-disciplinary practice.
How to Apply
- Download and read the RAF Guidelines [PDF]
- Confirm your project is eligible by checking the RAF Eligibility Criteria [PDF] and check your regional eligibility on the Doctor Connect Locator Map
- Contact the Regional Arts WA Project Officer Hannah Chambers on email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone on 08 9200 6210 or 1800 811 883 (regional freecall) with details of your project
- Submit your application via SmartyGrants – note SmartyGrants times are in AEDT
You can apply for funding to support arts projects, professional development for artists and arts workers, and community capacity building projects. Funded projects will meet the objectives of the Regional Arts Fund.
The objectives of the Regional Arts Fund are to support and promote participation in, and access to, arts and culture in regional and remote Australia by:
- Encouraging and supporting sustainable economic, social and cultural development in regional communities;
- Developing partnerships and networks which leverage financial and/or in-kind support for specific projects and encourage ongoing collaboration;
- Developing audiences and broadening community engagement with the arts;
- Increasing employment and professional development opportunities for, and raise the profile of, regional and remote artists; and
- Supporting quality and viability of artistic and cultural activity.
Specific assessment criteria are outlined in the RAF Guidelines [PDF].
Applicants must reside in postcodes classified as regional using the Modified Monash Model Map. The applicant’s physical address must be MMM Classification 2 or above. To check how your address is classified visit the Doctor Connect Locator Map.
- 1 February 2022 Applications open
- 8 March 2022 Draft applications due (optional)
- 17 March 2022 Applications close
- 1 July 2022 Projects can commence
- 30 June 2023 Projects must be completed
The Australian Government Minister for the Arts has the option to announce the Regional Arts Fund Project Grant recipients, after which Regional Arts WA staff notify all applicants. Notification of the outcome can take around three months after the Grant round closing date. Please be aware this is an indicative time frame only.
Regional Arts WA Support
Final enquiries must be made before 4.30pm Thursday 17 March. Contact Hannah Chambers at email@example.com or 08 9200 6210.
Project Officers are available to talk through your project and provide help with the application process. Regional Arts WA can also provide written feedback on draft applications that are submitted by 9am Tuesday 8 March 2022. Please ask a Project Officer if you would like to receive this feedback.
Project Officers can also provide additional support to those who have additional needs. In particular; first time or young applicants, and/or applicants who are disadvantaged through cultural, physical or language barriers. Please tell a Project Officer if you have additional needs for support.
All Regional Arts Fund Project Grants are assessed by an independent, external panel of artists and cultural workers from across WA. You can see the full list of peer assessors here and find out more about the process on the Assessment FAQs page.
The Australian Government Minister for the Arts has the option to announce the successful recipients, after which Regional Arts WA staff notify all applicants. Notification of the outcome can take around three months after the Grant round closing date. Please be aware this is an indicative time frame only.
Links and Downloads
- RAF Guidelines [PDF]
- RAF Eligibility Criteria [PDF]
- Sample Tax Invoice [PDF]
- Assessment FAQs
- SmartyGrants Portal
- Logos and acknowledgements (for successful applicants)
Successful recipients must display the Regional Arts Fund logos on all promotional material relating to the supported project. This is a combined logo set, featuring the logos of the Australian Government, Regional Arts Australia, and Regional Arts WA. If you have any questions about how to use the logos, please contact the Regional Arts WA Project Officer by email on firstname.lastname@example.org or phone on 08 9200 6210 or 1800 811 883 (regional freecall).
Previous Grant Recipients
Congratulations to the successful recipients. Find a full list of names and learn more about their projects on our RAF Project Grants Recipients page.
Image above: Breaksea participants perform newly devised scenes from View from the Magpie’s Nest, Albany Entertainment Centre, November 2020. Photo by Rob Castiglione, courtesy of Breaksea Incorporated.